It’s 2019 and we have lots of options for getting thick, long, luscious lashes. The market is saturated with mascaras offering every variation of lengthening and volumizing at both drugstore and luxury prices. False lashes are available at any neighborhood pharmacy or beauty supply store. People looking for a slightly more permanent solution can book an appointment for eyelash extensions at a spa or salon. However, all of these options are alternatives to your own, homegrown lashes. How does Latisse®, a prescription solution that helps your own natural lashes grow longer and thicker, stack up?
Applied daily, mascara can provide temporary lift, length, and volume to lashes until it is removed at the end of the day.
- Easy to apply.
- Easy to remove.
- Lots of options for brands, types, and colors.
- Spend what you want - there’s choices in every price range.
- Accessible - you can get it anywhere.
- Must reapply everyday.
- Can rub off, smear, and clump.
- Unhygienic ( be replaced frequently 😬).
Falsies are applied with a body safe glue and are perfect for those looking to add a bit more oomph than traditional mascara does.
- DRAMA - if you are going for an over-the-top look, falsies are for you.
- Lots of styles to pick and choose from for any occasion.
- No smearing or clumping here!
- Lots of options at different price ranges - pick up a pair for a couple dollars at the drugstore, or splurge on that mink, baby!
- Accessible - anywhere you can get mascara, you can also probably get lashes.
- Application can take some practice (we know from experience).
- Removal can be tricky, too.
- Multiple sets take up space in your drawer and are easy to lose.
- Have a limited shelf life of just a few uses.
Extensions require a visit to a professional, but are the longest-lasting of the synthetic options.
- Last up to a full growth cycle of your natural lashes (typically six to eight weeks).
- You can opt for a natural look or go big and bold.
- No need to worry about them smudging or un-sticking.
- Get ready to spend those dollars - extensions are pricey.
- You need to get them done by a professional and depending on where you live, they may not be readily available.
- High maintenance - extensions need to be kept up to stay looking their best.
- Our medical director, Dr. Aimee Paik, also adds that eyelash extensions are "very harsh on the underlying eyelashes and often cause eyelash loss." It may be best to save them for a special occasion!
Now that you know the pros and cons of those other lash alternatives, what can Latisse® offer?
- Natural lashes! No adhesive or mascara wand needed.
- The only prescription strength treatment on the market. Prescription strength treatment = prescription strength results.
- Application takes seconds and there’s no need for removal.
- No salon appointments necessary!
- You need to keep up with the treatment to maintain your results.
- Can take up to four weeks to start seeing results.
- More expensive than mascara or falsies (but much cheaper than extensions!).
While you do need to keep up with the treatment to maintain your results, there’s no need for salon appointments and Latisse is far cheaper than keeping up extensions. In exchange, you get longer, thicker, fuss-free natural lashes!
What’s your favorite method of pumping up your lashes? Let us know your recommendations on Twitter at @hi_apostrophe!