This medication has two active ingredients within one solution: sodium sulfacetamide and sulfur. Each one helps improve your acne in different ways.
Sodium sulfacetamide has antibiotic qualities: it decreases the number of acne-causing bacteria in your pores.
Sulfur is what's called a keratolytic agent. This means it helps loosen and shed the dead skin cells that can cause pore blockage.
Brand Names: Plexion, Avar
You should use the sulfacetamide-sulfur wash either once or twice a day, as recommended by your doctor.
- Apply the medications to your bare hands and then gently massage it into the affected area.
- Wait 20 to 30 seconds and then wash off the cleanser with warm water. Pat dry.
Tips to avoid skin dryness:
Some people experience skin dryness when consistently applying this medication. Try the steps below to minimize skin irritation. If you still experience dryness, message your physician for help.
- Wash the cleanser off sooner. Try 10 seconds instead of 20-30.
- Use the medication every other day instead of every day.
- Apply a non-comedogenic moisturizer to the affected area after you have washed your face with the medication.
A few things to keep in mind:
- Continue to use the medication even if your condition improves.
- Try to wash your hands after applying the medication to ensure your hands do not dry out.
- If you are a female and become pregnant while taking this medication, stop using it immediately and contact your physician.
- You should not use the medication if you are allergic to sulfas or if you have kidney disease. You should not use this medication if you have many open sores on the skin. While serious side effects are rare, you should stop this medication immediately and message your physician if you develop new arthritis, fevers, or sores in the mouth.
Consistency is key!