Spring is right around the corner which means more time in the sun, shifting weather, and changes to your skin! While you’re planning the best way to tackle your spring cleaning chore list, it might also be a good time to and see if your routine needs any tweaks. Do you need to step up your skincare game?
- You’re feeling a little dry. Our skin tends to be the driest in the winter (as I’m sure those living in the Northeast and Midwest can attest!), so it’s important to add moisture into your routine during cooler months. Cold weather, indoor heating, and low humidity work together to suck water and life out of your skin. As we transition into spring and we start spending more time outside, can also contribute to dryness (always remember sunscreen!). Apply moisturizer right out of the shower to lock in hydration and, if you’re feeling especially parched, a humidifier in your bedroom can help your skin retain moisture while you sleep.
- You’re missing your glow. A buildup of dead skin cells on your skin’s surface will increase the appearance of texture and reduce the ability of light to reflect off your skin – you’ve lost your glow! You can find it again by exfoliating once or twice a week (use a gentle physical exfoliator to avoid irritation). Another option is to consider using serums or peels containing or Be careful with these chemical exfoliators because they can be irritating to sensitive skins since they work on a chemical level by breaking the bonds holding dead skin cells together. However, this also means they can penetrate the skin more deeply and
- Don’t forget the skin on your body! Since we typically look at our faces in the mirror a few times a day, it can be easy to focus on our complexions and neglect the skin on the rest of your body. Dry or rough elbows, knees, arms, and legs are a sign that you may need a thicker body cream. Remember the tip above and moisturize after getting out of the shower so you can show off glowing arms and legs this spring!
- Break outs. Boo. Zits are never fun, but they could be telling you to reevaluate the products in your medicine cabinet. can also be contributing factors, so be sure to shower as soon as you can after outdoor activities or working out. As always, remember your sunscreen and check to see if it is labeled non-comedogenic to make sure it doesn’t break you out!
- You’ve got an itch you can’t scratch. A persistent itch may be a sign of dry skin, so be sure to use gentle cleansers and moisturize liberally. Allergies or sensitivities may be another cause so cutting out scented body washes, lotions, or even laundry detergents may help calm your skin (if you can’t bear to part with scents, a candle or diffuser is a great option to get your fix). If you are still feeling itchy, or scratching keeps you up at night, it might be time to see a doctor.
- All your smiles are starting to show. Congratulations! Take pride in your well-earned fine lines. If you feel compelled to address them, you can always add acids like AHAs and BHAs (mentioned above) into your routine, or try out our own prescription strength Tretinoin Formula (find it here) to maintain your youthful glow. However, the best thing you can do to protect your skin from wear and tear is to wear a sunscreen of at least SPF 30 every day (we know you know, but it never hurts to say it again :D).
What are the latest changes you’ve made to your skincare routine? Got any tips and tricks that address the issues above? Tweet us at @hi_apostrophe!